Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Another Year has Gone By.... Quick Recap

Another year has gone by and I have neglected the blog. I originally started this to fund-raise and that was my justification for letting it go but I do feel like I have accomplished something even if I write a line or two when I keep up with this. Today was day 3 of running for me this week. I am training for the Philly Half Marathon in November and I think because I have already run a few half marathons I keep thinking of it like no big deal. ‘No worries if I don’t train, I can just walk it!’ And then every once in a while I will have the thought of breaking my PR and I know that I need to actually take time to train if I am to do that.

I do not run for speed or to place, I run because it makes me feel good. I really like the medals too, let’s be honest. However, I would like to train and see if I can break my PR for the Half. It helps that this is in Philly and I already have run it in 2011 when I did the Full Marathon. I remember looking at the Half Marathoners as they turned to head to their finish line and I continued on to Mile 14. I was hating for sure... I got my Marathon PR at that race too. There is nothing like running a route you have run so many times before but having tons of people yelling for you and the others. That is actually what I like to daydream about when I am doing the day to day runs...a crowd cheering as I cross the Finish Line. Alright, back to reality.

Since last year, I have not run too much. I did do the Broad Street Run which was fun once the crazy train ride to get to the start was behind me. What else…. Well life has been amazing, that is for sure. I started my final year of Nursing School on Monday, I went to Ireland and Paris in April with Jeff (amazingly awesome), actually there are a ton of things that I can’t even list but just know: overall life is wonderful. That being said I do feel the running lacking in my life. 

It is really easy to justify skipping a run here and there when I am working full time, in school 2 nights a week and weekends, plus the commute, etc… however there are other kids in my class that have to do everything I do and they still find time to run. One woman in particular is a marathon runner and very good at it, she has placed in most of the races that I have asked her about, but she is very modest about it which makes her even cooler. She was telling me last Spring that even taking 20-30 mins to run will help you to focus and study more. Over the summer I did try to run on the mornings that I had tests and I think it helped me do pretty well. Not sure if it was all of the studying or the running or both but I didn't want to jinx it so I would run those mornings just in case it was the running help me pick those multiple choice answers. Win-Win.

As you know I enjoy taking pics so let me just post a few from my runs this week…

Ben Franklin Bridge- This morning


Rittenhouse Square- Yesterday


Since I have not written: Here are a couple from the Broad Street Run in May.


Very Good Point...We are choosing to do this, so smile kids


Oh yeah!!!! I almost forgot….Jeff and I ran a 10K when we were in Dublin!!! That was the coolest!!!! So many people and at night!! Wow can’t believe I forgot that one… so that was a race in April, race in May.. I guess I have been in the running world a bit. 


All of those yellow dots are runners

First Irish Race...Everything is cooler in Ireland, basically just because you are in Ireland

Next... on to November. My runs have been short this week although like I said, 3 days in a row is a big step. I am going to try to get back to a routine of a couple short runs and one long run per week. This semester is going to be tough in school especially since my program just raised the bar with GPA and grades per class. 2 semesters left though, home stretch! I have to keep in mind that my brain wants my body to run because it makes me healthy and it also gives it a break from the text books!




No comments:

Post a Comment